Thursday, March 16, 2006

Too much time on my hands...

The other night my wonderful wife and I were lying in bed before going to sleep and my mind got to thinking (a dangerous pass-time, I've discovered)...

Why are kids born out of wedlock called "illegitimate children"? Why does the immorality of the parents call into question the legitmacy of the child?

Make no mistake, that son or daughter is a very real child. So why do they get the bad title, like they did something wrong? Maybe the guilty partners should be called "illegitimate parents" or something. That would definitely make more sense to me.

And then as if that wasn't bad enough, if the kid's a boy he's gotta go through life with everyone calling him a "bastard." Sheesh. It's not like it's his fault he was born...

No comments: